Monday, January 17, 2011

Tis the Season: The Golden Globes Winners


(Scroll over any film title for the full Black Sheep review.)

I spent last night on the couch with my good friend, Trista DeVries from The Toronto Film Scene, watching the 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards. We were but a few feet away from each other but most of the evening was spent in silence, staring at our computer screens while we tweeted about our reactions to the show. On occasion, we actually communicated with each other via Tweet, which is just silly no matter how you spin it. By the end of the night, I had come up short with my predictions and Trista got 17 right, besting me by two. I owe her a night at the movies now. Even my prediction for Best Picture - Drama was wrong! I feel like THE KING'S SPEECH really needed the win here to position itself properly for the Oscars but instead, it looks THE SOCIAL NETWORK might really go all the way. Regardless, this is still the most exciting Best Picture race in years.

As for the Golden Globes, I think we can all agree that Ricky Gervais will likely not be asked back next year. While I did find him often hilarious and scandalous, I also often found him to be just plain scathing and I'm never a fan of just being mean because you can't get a laugh any other way. There were no surprises in any of the film categories for me. The biggest would be overlooking the higher profile Foreign Language film choices but outside of that, the chips fell exactly as I suspected they might. Paul Giamatti is the only exception, with his win as Best Actor - Comedy, for BARNEY'S VERSION, a well deserved win for a great Canadian film. My favorite wins of the night were Natalie Portman for Best Actress - Drama, in BLACK SWAN, and little Chris Colfer, for Best Supporting Actor - Television, for his role on "Glee". Portman's speech felt really genuine and Colfer looked so surprised by his win, I could not help but get a little teary.

It was a great night - great food, wine and company. Let the award shows continue! Now, here is the complete list of Golden Globe film winners ...

BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA

BEST MOTION PICTURE - COMEDY

BEST DIRECTOR
David Fincher - THE SOCIAL NETWORK

BEST DRAMATIC ACTOR
Colin Firth - THE KING'S SPEECH

BEST DRAMATIC ACTRESS
Natalie Portman - BLACK SWAN

BEST ACTOR - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Paul Giamatti - BARNEY'S VERSION

BEST ACTRESS - COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Annette Bening - THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christian Bale - THE FIGHTER

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Melissa Leo - THE FIGHTER

BEST ANIMATED FILM

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE PICTURE
IN A BETTER WORLD

BEST SCREENPLAY
Aaron Sorkin - THE SOCIAL NETWORK

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - THE SOCIAL NETWORK

BEST SONG
"You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" - from BURLESQUE

For a complete list of winners, visit the Hollywood Foreign Press Association website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah TBF some of Gervais' jokes were grasping and old (the Ashton Kutcher thing?) but still he was so goddamnfunny ! But your right, he probably won't be back haha people are such prudes.

Black Sheep said...

I don't know for certain that he deserves to come back. He crossed a few lines, I found, and I like my humour offensive. Gervais was mean spirited and very bitter in some of his delivery. I'm not sure even he knew how intensely he was coming across. I still laughed plenty but seeing as how he bit the hand that feeds him all night, I doubt he will be invited back.

CMrok93 said...

The Golden Globes just made all of the suspense for the Oscars totally dumbed down now. I think I have a feeling of what's going to happen with these awards, but I'll still watch it and see what happens.

Black Sheep said...

I fully agree with you, CMrok93! I was very excited for the Oscars for two reasons. The first is because the audiences seem to be in line with the potential nominees this year. And secondly, because I didn't feel there was a sure thing this year, like every year. Best Actress is still a tight race but I feel everything else has been sewn up now. I would have loved to see THE KING'S SPEECH win last night, just to keep things suspenseful. Not that THE SOCIAL NETWORK isn't deserving but still ... Maybe things could still get interesting.