Monday, November 15, 2010

Couch Time with Sheldon


This weekend in Toronto was one extreme to another. Saturday was gorgeous out and Sunday was anything but. I spent some of Saturday taking in the sunshine to alleviate a bad mood. I then spent Sunday in a much better mood but stuck inside with all the cold rain falling outside. Being stuck wasn't without its advantages though. I had the chance to catch up on my stack of films to review. Each film brought a new mood. The day went from confused to disgusted to downright jubilant. Here's how ...

BEING THERE
I got this movie from Zip.ca over two months ago. When I saw it still sitting at the bottom of my pile, I decided to cancel my Zip.ca account. I couldn't let the film go to waste though so I popped it in Sunday morning. Peter Sellers is Chance, a man who has lived his entire life within the confines of one home until he is forced into the real world. He knows nothing of life nor has he ever developed mentally and as he walks up and down the streets of Washington, past the other homeless people, I had no idea how to interpret his plight. I felt like this was meant to be amusing but all I felt was great fear for this individual. He has no tools to deal with society but yet somehow he not only manages but manages to convince everyone he encounters that he is practically prophetic. Sellers is sensational so subsequently I couldn't believe that no one could tell he was so special. (Warner Bros.)

ANTICHRIST

Lars von Trier is not for everyone. I am a big fan of DANCER IN THE DARK and DOGVILLE but I would never dream of recommending them to anyone who likes their movies light or easy. With ANTICHRIST, I can't think of anyone I would recommend the film to, except perhaps some of the contrarian film students I used to know. Within minutes of the film starting, you get to see the prologue of the piece. While Willem Dafoe is having passionate (and full on graphic) sex with Charlotte Gainsbourg on the bathroom floor, their young toddler gets out of his crib and falls out the window, plummeting to his death in some of the most glorious cinematography I've seen all year. I didn't want to be seeing what I was seeing but it still looked good. And thus begins the punishment of these two people for having sex. If the horrifying acts of torture the couple inflict upon each other don't make you ill, the appalling misogynist agenda will. If neither does, than perhaps you are the antichrist. (eOne)

THE SOUND OF MUSIC
I would have been happy to watch almost anything after that last disaster but boy am I glad it was Robert Wise's Best Picture Oscar winning musical, THE SOUND OF MUSIC. And do those hills ever come alive on blu-ray! This 45th anniversary edition is spectacularly transfered and completely addictive. You know the story and the songs already but they never cease to get old. I was slightly taken aback when they sang, "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" as she is about to get married, seemingly answering their own question with some good old fashioned sexism, but it's 45 years old! Maria's journey to find the best channel to express her great love for the planet and all of its beauty is infectious and timeless. There is a reason this one is a classic after all. And her name is Julie Andrews. (20th Century Fox)

Here's a run down of what else hits shelves today ... The AVATAR "Collector's Edition" is now available - it's bluer now ... I believe I said Jim Carrey's A CHRISTMAS CAROL was out last week. Wrong. It's out now ... M. Knight Shaymalan's THE LAST AIRBENDER hit shelves and that is exactly where I will be leaving it ... Right next to CATS AND DOGS 2 ... And my personal rental recommendation of the week is Lisa Cholodenko's fantastic family dramedy, THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT, featuring one of the best ensemble's of the year, Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Mark Ruffalo, Mia Wasikowska and Josh Hutcherson. I will be watching it on my couch tonight! (Click here to read the original KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT Black Sheep review.)

Source: Blu-ray.com

No comments: