Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Black Sheep's Blu-Tuesday


What a crazy day for the buying public it is .. myself included. I'm going to have to dig into my sofa cushions because there are just way too many things to buy today. I know I won't be able to resist when I walk past so either I just don't walk past or I give in now and just accept my fate. This could mean that by the end of the day, the following items will find their way to my already crowded shelves.

TOY STORY / TOY STORY 2
I was fortunate enough to catch these two great Pixar films back to back and in 3D when Disney re-released them last fall. Both films are looking fantastic so many years later and, although you can feel the concessions Pixar would have had to make at the time to appease Disney, you can also see the great promise of Pixar that was made then but has been fulfilled time and time again. Extras on the first time BD releases are as plentiful as any Pixar release, including commentaries, elaborate behind the scenes features and sneak peaks at TOY STORY 3

MAD MEN: SEASON 3
I just finished the fourth season of LOST last night so I'm looking forward to taking a small break from the island and getting back to the good old traditional values of the great men and women and MAD MEN. I don't know much about the third season but if it is anywhere near as stylish, subtle and suggestive as the first two seasons, there is no way I can be disappointed. I wonder if Don will try to quit smoking.

FANTASTIC MR. FOX
Ordinarily, when I enjoy a film as much as I enjoyed this one by Wes Anderson, I tend to see it more than once on the big screen. That was just not possible in this case so I am very much looking forward to my second viewing of this film in the comfort of my home. I cannot wait to devour the gorgeous imagery and delight in the magical tale that is told with such smooth flair. Extras promise to give plenty of insight into the process that brought this classic Roald Dahl tale to life. Click here for the original Black Sheep review.

ALSO NEW ON BD AND DVD

See Sandra Bullock's Oscar winning performance in THE BLIND SIDE.

George Clooney and Ewan McGregor spend some time with farm animals in THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Natalie Portman play while Tobey Maguire is away in BROTHERS.

Criterion gives us Terrence Malick's DAYS OF HEAVEN, Nicholas Ray's BIGGER THAN LIFE and Akira Kurosawa's YOJIMBO on this the 100th anniversary of his date of birth.

And finally, Hollywood classic, THE AFRICAN QUEEN, has been packaged in a commemorative box set.

No comments: