Now, there are no prizes for completing this quiz. It is all in good fun. That being said, I do encourage you not to rely too heavily on the Internet when trying to complete it. It is so much more fun to figure it all out yourself. And just think how much more gratifying it will feel to know all this useless information came directly from your mind and not from IMDB?
And with that, let's get right to it!
1. If ARGO wins best picture, it will be the first film to do so without a Best Director nomination since which film? And while we're on the subject, what was the last film to win all the guild awards (Producers, Directors, Actors), as ARGO has done, that did not go on to take home the Oscar for Best Picture? (Hint: The director of that film wasn't nominated for Best Director at the Oscars either.) (2 points)
Answer: DRIVING MISS DAISY, APOLLO 13
2. You might not think Steven Spielberg knows Ben Affleck’s pain of being snubbed for Best Director when he’s already been nominated seven times. There are however, three Spielberg films that received Best Picture nods where Spielberg himself was left off the Director ballot. Name those three films. (3 points)
Answer: JAWS, THE COLOR PURPLE, WAR HORSE
3. At 9 years old, Quvenzhane Wallis is the youngest Best Actress Oscar nominee in history. Who was the previous record holder who was nominated when she was 13 in 2004? (1 point)
Answer: Keisha Castle-Hughes
4. At 85 years old, Emmanuelle Riva is the oldest Best Actress Oscar nominee. In what 1959 Oscar nominated film did she get her big break? (Fun Fact: She will turn 86 on Oscar day!) (1 point)
Answer: HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR
5. LIFE OF PI is only the fourth film in the history of the Academy Awards to receive nominations in all seven of the technical categories. What were the first three? (Hint: The films were honoured in 1997, 2002 and 2012.) (3 points)
Answer: TITANIC, MASTER AND COMMANDER, HUGO
6. Securing a nomination is all four acting categories is no easy feat but the cast of SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK has done it this year. What was the last film to accomplish this lofty goal? (1 point)
7. All five of this year’s Best Supporting Actor nominees have won an Oscar before. For which film did each of them win? (5 points)
Alan Arkin: LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Robert De Niro: RAGING BULL, THE GODFATHER II
Philip Seymour Hoffman: CAPOTE
Tommy Lee Jones: THE FUGITIVE
Christoph Waltz: INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
8. Quentin Tarantino has won a Best Original Screenplay before. It is his sole Oscar and it is shared with whom? (1 point)
Answer: Roger Avary
9. When Anne Hathaway co-hosted the Oscars (ugh), she sang a song from LES MISERABLES to her eventual co-star in the film, Hugh Jackman. What song did she sing? (1 point)
Answer: "On My Own"
10. If SKYFALL wins an Oscar, it will join a short list of two other Bond Oscar winning films. Name those films. (2 points)
Answer: GOLDFINGER, THUNDERBALL
BONUS: Does ZERO DARK THIRTY suggest the American's use of torture in finding Osama Bin Laden was entirely justified? Write a 750-word essay on the subject and be sure to include a thorough bibliography. (1 point)
I will post the answers before the Oscar telecast tomorrow. Good luck!