Tuesday, January 22, 2013

HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET

HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET
Written by David Loucka
Directed by Mark Tonderai
Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Max Thieriot and Elizabeth Shue

I’m not sure what I’m basing this on as I’ve never met her but I think that Jennifer Lawrence seems like a smart girl to me. She always appears in sharp projects, big and small, so when I saw that she was starring what looked like an incredibly generic thriller, HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET, I thought the film couldn’t possibly be as bad as it looked. Why else would she sign on to make it? Now, I’m puzzled though. I wouldn’t say my faith in Lawrence has been decimated after watching the film but it has been shaken somewhat.

There is nothing redeeming about this watered down premise. Lawrence and her mother (Elizabeth Shue) move into a new home, next to a home where a murder took place. Everyone in town generally avoids this house so naturally Lawrence’s character is drawn to it. She takes rides from strangers, is constantly snooping around where she shouldn’t be and disobeys her mother when she is forbidden from spending time with the boy who lives in the house (Max Thieriot). And then she wonders how she ended up being chased by a knife-wielding maniac. It isn’t rocket science, Mrs. Lawrence. You just should not have made this movie.



No comments: