Monday, January 24, 2011

Tis the Season: Black Sheep's 2010 Oscar predictions

So my boss just called me and told me that I have to attend a business breakfast meeting tomorrow at 8:30 AM. I'm sure he didn't notice but it was almost like he was canceling Christmas for me because, as I'm sure you must already know, the Academy Award nominations are being announced at, you guessed it, 8:30 AM (EST) tomorrow. At the very least, it now feels like I have to go to church first before I can open my presents on Christmas morning. Oh well. I'm a big boy. And I'm a professional. Also, I have an iPhone so when the breakfast meeting gets boring ... and trust me, it will ... I can sneak a peak.

This means my reporting on the Oscar nominations will be delayed until the afternoon or the later morning. Thank you for your understanding. In the meantime, it is time for my Oscar predictions. Let's see how well I do this year! Of course, you will know that before I do.

(Scroll over any film title for the full Black Sheep review.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

CHRISTIAN BALE in THE FIGHTER
ANDREW GARFIELD in THE SOCIAL NETWORK
JEREMY RENNER in THE TOWN
MARK RUFFALO in THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
GEOFFREY RUSH in THE KING'S SPEECH

(Black Sheep's dark horse: Armie Hammer in THE SOCIAL NETWORK)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

AMY ADAMS in THE FIGHTER
HELENA BONHAM CARTER in THE KING'S SPEECH
MILA KUNIS in BLACK SWAN
MELISSA LEO in THE FIGHTER
HAILEE STEINFELD in TRUE GRIT

(Black Sheep's dark horses: Lesley Manville in ANOTHER YEAR, Dianne Weist in RABBIT HOLE.)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY


(Black Sheep's dark horse: ANOTHER YEAR)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY


(Black Sheep's dark horse: RABBIT HOLE)

BEST ACTOR

JAVIER BARDEM in BIUTIFUL
JEFF BRIDGES in TRUE GRIT
JESSE EISENBERG in THE SOCIAL NETWORK
COLIN FIRTH in THE KING'S SPEECH
JAMES FRANCO in 127 HOURS

(Black Sheep's dark horse: None. Bardem is already dark enough.)

BEST ACTRESS

ANNETTE BENING in THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
JENNIFER LAWRENCE in WINTER'S BONE
NICOLE KIDMAN in RABBIT HOLE
NATALIE PORTMAN in BLACK SWAN
MICHELLE WILLIAMS in BLUE VALENTINE

(Black Sheep's dark horse: None. Everyone I want to see there is already there. Back off Hailee Steinfeld ... Get back into the supporting category where you belong. And you barely even belong there as far as I'm concerned.)

BEST DIRECTOR

DARREN ARONOFSKY for BLACK SWAN
DAVID FINCHER for THE SOCIAL NETWORK
TOM HOOPER for THE KING'S SPEECH
CHRISTOPHER NOLAN for INCEPTION
DAVID O. RUSSLL for THE FIGHTER

(Black Sheep's dark horse: None. I like that bunch.)

BEST PICTURE


(Black Sheep's dark horse: WINTER'S BONE easily deserves to be there more than 127 HOURS, THE TOWN, TRUE GRIT and even THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT. I seriously hope it makes this list. And the only reason I gave the advantage to 127 HOURS is because Franco is hosting the show.)

Even as I type those choices up, I am saddened to think I will not get to hear Mo'Nique tell me herself how well I did with them. Anyway, it will be late but check back tomorrow to see how many I got right and for a full list of the nominations.

(Go Canada, Denis Villeneuve and INCENDIES in the Foreign Language Film category!)

No comments: